Crystals Rocks & Minerals
National Geographic Crystals, Rocks, and Minerals; Earth Science Experiment Kit. Learn about rocks and the minerals that form them. Dig deeper and discover the fascinating crystal structures of these minerals. Much more than just a crystal growing kit, this experiment kit teaches you the chemistry of crystals and the geological science behind rock formation with more than 18 hands-on projects and investigations. Grow three chemically different types of crystals that exhibit not only different colors, but also different shapes. Build three-dimensional geometric models of common crystal shapes including octahedrons, tetrahedrons, and rhomboids. Mold your own crystal geode - a hollow rock with crystals growing inside. Learn how to test and identify minerals with your very own collection of real specimens included in the kit. Conduct tests to determine a mineral's chemical and physical properties such as color, luster, streak color, hardness, density, magnetic properties, and carbon, sulfur, or iron content. Investigate the geologic rock cycle and learn how the three main categories of rock - igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic - are formed, altered, destroyed, and formed again. Full-color, 32-page experiment manual.
- Kit includes the following genuine specimens: granite, limestone, basal, marble, pumice, calcite, pyrite, quartz, hematite, bornite, fluorite, magnetite, and soapstone
- Grow three types of crystals: alum (potassium aluminum sulfate), copper (ll) sulfate, and potassium hexacyanoferrate (III)
- The National Geographic science kits from Thames and Kosmos further that mission by helping kids learn about science in a fun way
- A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the National Geographic kits goes to support vital exploration, conservation, research, and education programs
- Discover the secrets inside the pyramid